Time is TBD|
Location is TBD
Afiya - Women's Group
A group to enhance wellness
Time & Location
Time is TBD
Location is TBD
About the event
Who can be part of Afiya?
Afiya is designed for adults of Muslim faith affected by the 15 March 2019 mosque attacks. After an event like this, people often notice ongoing pain, tension and headaches as well as emotions like anxiety and grief. There is a group for men and a group for women, run separately.
What will it cost me?
It is free.
- Before the group, you will meet one of the group leaders (with an interpreter if needed). We want to better understand your issues and come up with your goals for treatment.
- Then the group meet once a week for 6 weeks. Each session is 2.5 hours long.
- We want you to have a safe place to consider ideas that might help you feel better and be able to try them.Where is it run and who would be there?The group is run in the community at either - Christchurch Resettlement Services(CRS) - Purapura Whetu, (PPW).Support-workers can be involved to assist with attendance and transport. They can also reinforce learning between sessions.
- This group is NOT a study.
- Attending the group is confidential.
- People agree not to talk aboutothers’ information outside of thegroup, including interpreter.
- The group stays the samethroughout, so new people won’t be able to join part-way through.
What do we learn?
- ways of reducing physical discomfort including relaxation
- information from specialists including an Imam, a doctor, a child specialist and a physiotherapist
- skills that help you have choices
- links between thoughts, feelingsand behaviour
- understanding grief and how tofeel better
If you are interested you can be referred by a number of agencies including:
- Christchurch Resettlement Services
- Victim Support
- Purapura Whetu
- Or your GPGroups will be available during the year (Inshallah)
From past attenders:
“I thought it would be a waste of time but it gave me hope and did a lot of good.” (female)
“Was a bit worried whether it would be useful or helpful. Feel completely positive to the group. It helped a lot.” (male)
“The techniques learned were very helpful and I would recom- mend it. Overall really good.” (male)
“If you want to be healthy you should go to the group-it will be ok!” (female)